Lantau is usually known as a place for the buddha. However, very few know about her Catholic history nowadays. Our lady of Joy Abbey was founded in 19th century by the monks from China and it was also known as the original producer of Trappist Dairy Milk. Stretch your legs and challenge yourselves on a 7km hike from Discovery Bay to the abbey. End the trip in a secret spot where our celebrity chef Jamie Bilbow, will welcome you.
- A 7km walk covering different terrains – shorelines, woods, and hilltop
- A visit to Our Lady of Joy Abbey
- Meet with Jamie Bilbow and learn his way of pizza making in his outdoor kitchen
Jamie is a proficient chef having received Michelin star tutelage, working in restaurants in Hong Kong and London. Before entering the world of presenting, Jamie trained chefs in North Korea, peddled a hummus cart business, published a Western cookbook in Chinese and ran a cooking school in Beijing.
Big Rice's Outdoor Kitchen
Tucked away in a valley at the back of the Lantau hills is a wonderfully mysterious and tranquil outdoor kitchen. Jamie, or 'Big Rice' as he is known on screen, has opened this private kitchen and decided to share the joys of cooking with his guests. Jamie has lived in Hong Kong for 23 years with stints in between in London, Beijing and Singapore. Jamie made a name for himself as a Chinese speaking food show host. His travelling and cooking shows are often aired on Discovery Channel, National Geographic, CCTV and closer to home on RTHK. He has now focussed his attentions on providing fun, unique Hong Kong based experiences, sharing his passion and his garden with locals looking for an exciting new dining experience on their doorsteps
One of the main features of Big Rice's Outdoor Kitchen is the pizza oven he built during Hong Kong's recent lockdown. Capable of reaching 500c+ degrees it takes pride of place in the garden. During this excursion participants will get a hands on tutorial on how to make delicious wood fire oven pizzas featuring Jamie's 18 hour proved dough and a wide range of tasty toppings. Come join the fun and be ready to get stuck in at one of Hong Kong's most unique kitchen settings surrounded by stunning nature and a 20 strong herd of free roaming friendly buffalo!
Want to see Jamie in action? His latest home cooking series airs weekly on Wednesdays on his Instagram channel: travelchefjamie
Hike & Taste of the Season
- Embark on a ride to Discovery Bay.
- Walk along the coast through a village and then ascend to Our Lady of Joy Abbey for a recess.
Hike & Taste of Season
- During your hike you will have a magnificent open view of Mui Wo and Silvermine Bay once you have reached the highest point.
Hike & Taste of Season
- Meet Jamie Bilbow at his private outdoor kitchen. Here Jamie will teach how to make his speciality pizza making use of his handbuilt Pizza Oven.
DetailsEnquire about this itinerary
HERE for detailed Itinerary
Tour Date: 5th December 2020
Registration Deadline: 26th November 2020
Tour Price: HKD 1,000/- per person, HKD 900/- per person if 2 persons sign up together.
Group size: Minimum 6 people, Maximum 10 people
- Transfer from Tsim Sha Tsui to Discovery Bay
- English speaking guide throughout the journey
- Pizza making experience with celebrity chef Jamie Bilbow;
- Non-alcoholic beverage during lunch
- Water during the hike
- Pickup and drop-off from your accommodation
- Personal expenses