This tall ship voyage will be dedicated to meeting the giants of the seas. In the last five years there have been increasing numbers of Orca’s and Humpback Whales in Troms, Northern Norway. They feed on the wintering herring in the fjords from Kvaløya (early winter) to Andfjorden (late winter).
Highlights of this voyage
- Whale spotting
- Witness the Aurora borealis
- Western fjords of Kvaløya Island of Senja
- White-Tailed Eagles
Day 1Arrive at the airport of Evenes, NorwayYou will arrive at the airport of Evenes and transfer to the port of Harstad (Vesterålen) and embark Noorderlicht at 5 pm on the same day.
Day 2 to Day 7Exploratory outline of the Whale Safari voyageNext morning you will be sailing into Andfjord and to the northern end of Andöya where Orcas and Humpback Whales are beginning to appear. This is an area with excellent opportunities to sail under canvas. Further to the north we have very good chances to see more whales in the western fjords of Kvaløya and of the island of Senja, like Mefjorden, Øyfjorden, Kattfjorden and Ersfjorden.These are also good areas for observing White-Tailed Eagles. We will try to make landings on the island of Håja, which looks like a cathedral. There is an old farm there and we will walk to the top of the mountain.Sommarøy has lovely beaches. At the north side, not hampered by false light we can have a good view of the Aurora Borealis if we spend the night in the little port. Another good location could be at the small pier of Esfjordsbotn. The last days of this exploratory voyage we work our way south through Gisundet the winding strait that separates Senja from the mainland. It is one of the most beautiful waterways of Norway. There is also the island of Tranøya, now deserted but still with a traditional 18th century wooden church.
Day 8Return to Harstad and transfer to the airport.Return to Harstad and return to the airport. This voyage can be combined with some of our land packages, add snowmobiling, reindeer safaris or dogsledding for a perfect Scandinavian winter holiday.
DetailsEnquire about this itinerary
- Voyage aboard the indicated vessel as indicated in the itinerary
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the programme
- AECO fees and governmental taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure material
- International and domestic air fares, whether on scheduled or charter flights; pre- and post land arrangements
- Transfers to / from the vessel outside Spitsbergen
- Government arrival and departure taxes
- Meals ashore
- Excess baggage charges
- Personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard