Cruise along the Mekong river in the heart and soul of mainland Southeast Asia.
Experience the culture and lively hustle of open air and floating markets offering exotic produce.
Explore the ancient temples of Cambodia surrounded with it's own architectural charm. Broese the local workshops throughout Vietnam, where exquisite handmade silks, rattan mats, and other crafts make memorable souvenirs.
On this one of a kind journey, the Mekong truly reveals a part of Southeast Asia along its shores.
After a transfer by motorcoach, you will board the AmaDara at Prek Kdam, a small village on the Tonle River. Meet your fellow travelers at a Welcome Dinner as the ship cruises to Kampong Chhnang.
A local motorboat takes you into the lakeside wetlands that form the mouth of Tonle Sap River. Enjoy the stunning variety of bird life here as well as tranquil floating villages and its busy market. Be treated to an authentic experience, an ox cart ride through a local village.
Afterwards, you’ll take a motorcoach to Oudong, situated on a picturesque hillside. Oudong was Cambodia’s former royal capital from 17th century until 1866; today, Oudong is a place of pilgrimage for Cambodians.
While here, you’ll visit one of Cambodia’s largest monasteries, where you’ll be treated to a memorable Buddhist blessing ceremony. Your ship departs for Oknhatey Village and moors midstream
Koh Oknhatey, or “Silk Island,” located on the lush banks of the Mekong River, is known for its rich tradition of silk weaving. You’ll go to Oknhatey, where you’ll visit a local elementary school and observe the traditional silk weaving of handicrafts.
Later, your ship departs for Phnom Penh, the vibrant colorful capital of Cambodia. Experience Phnom Penh via an authentic tuk tuk ride and be enchanted by the city's French Colonial architecture and tree-lined boulevards set amidst monumental Angkorian architecture. During the evening on board, enjoy a typical Khmer folk performance presented by local children.
You will have a choice of excursions this morning. Visit Cambodia’s infamous Killing Fields and the Khmer Rouge’s grim Tuol Sleng S21 detention center (Genocide Museum) just outside the city.
Or if you prefer to stay in Phnom Penh, you can visit the bustling yellow-colored Central Market. After lunch on board, you’ll explore the highlights of the city, followed by the Royal Palace, the spectacular Silver Pagoda and the National Museum, which has an outstanding collection of Khmer crafts.
After returning to the ship, enjoy Khmer folk dancing performed by local children in the Saigon Lounge.
Spend the day cruising the Mekong River as your ship crosses the border into Vietnam.
Enjoy a visit to Tan Chau, a small Mekong River town unspoiled by tourism. You will have the opportunity to take a traditional “xe-loi” (trishaw) ride around the town, with stops at silk-making and rattan mat workshops, followed by a boat ride through the narrow channels of the Mekong River to “Evergreen Island.”
Alternatively, simply take the boat ride to Evergreen Island and return to Tan Chau, where you will visit a rattan mat workshop. Later in the day, cruise to Sa Dec.
Once ashore in Sa Dec, tour the town where French writer Marguerite Duras spent many years in her youth.
Visit a colorful local market and the 19th-century house of Mr. Huynh Thuy Le, Duras’ Chinese paramour. Later, board a motor coach for Xeo Quyt, once used as a base during the French and U.S. wars and now an important ecological site.
You will have an opportunity to visit candy and rice paper making workshops and the historic Kiet Old House. Cap the day off with a festive Farewell Dinner on board.
Your journey comes to an end as the ship docks at My Tho Port, Vietnam.
DetailsEnquire about this itinerary
- 31 December 2018 to 7 January 2019
- The AmaDara holds 124 passengers. Staterooms and suites feature twin balconies, both a French and outside balcony, so you can enjoy the ever-changing scenery however you wish. Additional stateroom amenities include a cozy sitting area, climate-controlled air conditioning, in-room safe and mini bar. Spacious bathrooms have a shower, bathrobe, slippers and hair dryer. Suites have additional enhanced amenities with a large sitting area and bathrooms with both a shower and separate tub.
From USD2,510 per person
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in a twin-balcony stateroom
- Flat-panel screen that features in-house movies
- Desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Sun deck with pool
- Fitness room and three spas
- Saigon Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Welcome Cocktail and Dinner
- Unlimited wine with lunch and dinner
- Complimentary local beer, house-brand spirits and soft drinks during cruise
- Snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
Charlotte Travel Exclusives
- USD100 shipboard credits per person