Crusie along the Mekong river from the lively cities of Vietnam to the local traditions of Cambodia. On the way visit to traditional monasteries, local markets, rural village and embrace the culture and traditions that comes with it.
Embark on the AmaDara at My Tho Port. Join us for a Welcome Dinner and meet your fellow passenger as the ship cruises to Cai Be.
A local boat will bring you to Cai Be. Here you will have an opportunity to visit candy and rice paper making workshops and the historic Kiet Old House. Later in the day, journey to Sa Dec, a sprawling town on the Mekong Delta, where French writer Marguerite Duras spent part of her childhood. A visit to the house of Mr. Huynh Thuy Le, Duras’ Chinese paramour, which her prize-winning novel, “The Lover,” is said to be based on is a must go. There will also be time to visit the local market and Cao Dai Temple.
Enjoy a visit to Tan Chau, a small Mekong River town. You will have the opportunity to take a traditional “xe-loi” (trishaw) ride around the town, with stops at silk-making and rattan mat workshops, followed by a boat ride through the narrow channels of the Mekong River to “Evergreen Island.” After the visit, cruise from Vietnam to the Cambodian border en route to Phnom Penh.
This morning’s excursion takes you to Cambodia’s infamous Killing Fields and the Khmer Rouge’s grim Tuol Sleng S21 detention center (Genocide Museum) just outside the city. After lunch on board, you’ll explore the highlights of the city, followed by a visit to the Royal Palace, the spectacular Silver Pagoda and the National Museum, which has an outstanding collection of Khmer crafts. After returning to the ship, enjoy Khmer folk dancing performed by local children in the Saigon Lounge.
Experience Phnom Penh via an authentic Tuk Tuk ride and be enchanted by the city's French Colonial architecture and tree-lined boulevards set amidst monumental Angkorian architecture. Alternatively, you may wish to shop for unique treasures at the bustling yellow-colored Central Market. Later in the morning, set sail for Oknhatey Village. Oknhatey is “Silk Island,” located on the lush banks of the Mekong River and known for its rich tradition of silk weaving. While here, you’ll visit a local elementary school and observe the traditional silk weaving of handicrafts. Afterwards, the ship set sail to Kampong Chhnang.
A local motorboat takes you into the lakeside wetlands that form the mouth of Tonle Sap River. Enjoy the stunning variety of bird life here as well as tranquil floating villages and its busy market. Later in the day, the ship sails to Kampont Tralach.
In Kampong Tralach, you will ride on a oxcart ride through a local village. Afterwards, an excursion to Oudong, Cambodia’s former royal capital from the early 17th century until 1866. Today, Oudong is a place of pilgrimage for Cambodians. Here, you will be treated to a memorable Buddhist Blessing Ceremony at a monastery. During the afternoon, take a leisurely walk through Koh Chen and visit home workshops specializing in silver- and copper-smithing. You’ll get an up-close view of how local artisans make ornamental items often used in traditional ceremonies
Your cruise comes to an end as you disembark at Prek Kdam, a small village on the Tonle River.
DetailsEnquire about this itinerary
Travel date: 10 to 17 December 2018
Price: From USD2,410 per person
Included in the price:
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in a twin-balcony stateroom
- Flat-panel screen that features in-house movies
- Desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Sun deck with pool
- Fitness room and three spas
- Saigon Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Welcome Cocktail and Dinner
- Unlimited wine with lunch and dinner
- Complimentary local beer, house-brand spirits and soft drinks during cruise
- Snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
Charlotte Travel Exclusives
- USD100 shipboard credits per person